We have in our fleet several brands of milk tanks of different capacities.
CONTACT US TO +33 2 40 31 31 23
The dairy must allow the milk to be collected and stored in the tank under optimal hygiene and safety conditions
A dimensioning of the dairy adapted to the capacity of the tank in width and height :
– Height under ceiling that takes into account the necessary clearance above the manhole to allow the reading of the gauge (for indication 1 m above the manhole)
– Free space of 1 m around the tank and an area of 3 m X 0.80 m for the wash bay.
– Strictly necessary equipment and as few objects on the ground as possible for a quick and efficient wash.
– Protection against rodents and birds.
– A suitable floor:
At least in concrete: non-slip and washable.
Slightly sloping to avoid water stagnation under the tank, with a drain to a collector.
– Smooth and washable walls and ceiling.
– Good natural and artificial lighting
Fluorescent tube, LED or low-voltage bulb for example, with a switch or presence detector located near the access door for the dairy driver.
– A cold and hot drinking water supply with a wash basin and a wash basin connected to the drain with soap and clean towels.
– A shelf or holder for washing products.
– A lectern or cupboard to store the documents related to the collection and the milk tank in a place protected from humidity and dust.
The owner of the bulk tank must have the tightness of the cooling circuit of his bulk tank checked by an approved body when it is put into service and then annually.
In order to guarantee a good functioning of the tank, its installation must be integrated into the design of the building.
Consultation with the dairy’s refrigeration department or the tank supplier is essential before finalising the project in order to properly size the tank and position the electrical, drinking water and milk supply, drains and ventilation.
– A single tank of sufficient capacity, allowing to store all the milk even during peak periods, in a room used only for milk storage.
– The valve of the tank as close as possible and facing the access door to the dairy.
– An electrical installation with sufficient power, compliant with standards (NF C 15-100) and protected.
After collection, once the washing is finished, check the cleanliness of the tank
by eye and nose, which must be free of any deposits. Also keep the outside of the tank clean, especially the tank outlet valve (inside and outside). Check any warning lights on the tank console.
IN THE EVENT OF A PROBLEM
Washing parameters (in particular T°C of the water and concentration of the products used)
That the water inlet filters are not clogged.
Measuring the smooth running of the agitator
Necessary to homogenize the milk of the different milkings and ensure uniform cooling, the agitator normally runs continuously during the cooling
time and then during storage for 2 minutes every 13 minutes. You can check the operation by standing close to the tank for a quarter of an hour and checking that these time intervals are observed. An agitation problem may be suspected, especially in case of sudden and unexplained variation of the milk fat content.
Never change the stirring speed.
Check the temperature of the milk in the tank daily:
Immediately after milking, the milk must be brought to a temperature between 0 and 6°C within a maximum of 3 hours, regardless of the volume to be cooled, except in the case of food business operators meeting the requirements of Regulation (EC) No 853/2004.
The temperature is usually displayed on the tank. If in doubt about the operation of the thermostat, do not hesitate to check it manually with a thermometer.
Check the operation of the warning lights on the tank console.
Keep the condenser clean and clear
As the lung of the cooling system, it must be perfectly clear and cleaned regularly to ensure good heat exchange with the outside.
A dirty condenser increases the milk cooling time and increases the electricity bill.
Dusting can be done with a dry nylon brush. (Do not use wire brushes as they may damage the fins and do not use a pressure washer as they may be crushed)
Pay particular attention to the cleanliness of the condensers during hot weather
Remove the gauge after washing
The gauge must be clean, dry and outside the tank on the counter provided for this purpose.
Keep the gauge in a visible, well positioned and well maintained place.
IN CASE OF STORM
If you unplug your tank, don’t forget to turn it back on as soon as the storm passes.
Ask your dairy for information on what to do in the event of a storm.
Never work alone on the electrical circuit (call the chosen service provider or the dairy).
To control the tank’s electricity consumption
Other modifications are possible in order to control the tank’s electricity consumption :
Install part of the tank (the rear part with the refrigeration unit) outside under a well-ventilated enclosed shelter.
Install the refrigeration unit outside (tank with separate refrigeration unit).
Install a milk pre-cooler, which reduces the electricity consumption of the milk tank by about 50%.
Source : INSTITUTE OF BREEDING – STORAGE AND CONSERVATION OF MILK IN OPERATION